First sew of the year

For the past week I’ve been getting stuck in to making a muslin for my first sewing project of 2015, the Simplicity 2174 ‘Amazing Fit’ dress, which I’m planning to make as part of my Stashbusting Sewalong pledge.pattern&fabric

I’ve had this gorgeous piece of Jenean Morrison fabric for almost FOUR years, and always thought it wold make a fabulous smart-casual dress.  Originally I was going to go for the Colette Laurel, but shift dresses are proving a pain to fit on me since my weight gain and body-shape changes, and after two frustratingly disastrous muslins last year I gave up and the fabric went back in the stash!  It’s been there so long, I actually forgot I only had 2½ yards (WHY didn’t I buy more??), so I’m going to have to be a bit creative with my fabric layout if I want to squeeze this dress out of it!  But never fear!  I have some lovely pink remnants in my stash that I can use for the facings and pockets, haha!triallayout

Now, I’ve been reading good things about these Amazing Fit patterns over at the Curvy Sewing Collective lately, so I thought I’d give this one a go.  I must say that up until today, I was REALLY pleased with the way the fit was going.  I graded the D-sized bodice pieces from a 16 at the neck/shoulders to a 20 at the waist and have only made a few minor alterations.  I took out a small amount at the top of the side seams (so as not to repeat my Sweetheart Sundress issues!), took ½” out of the bodice length and dropped the bust apex by 3/4″.  Overall I was very happy with the fit of the bodice, and the skirt fit beautifully out of the packet, with no alterations needed – whoohoo!  I was almost beginning to think I could dispense with those pesky 1″ seam allowances when I cut the actual dress from my skimpy bit of fabric.

HOWEVER.  Today was Sleeve Day.  Oh dear.  Everything was going so well…  I always have problems with sleeves!  Too tight all round, too much gathering (which is meant to be ‘ease’) at the top, and now my amazing-fit bodice pulls across the top of the chest.  Sigh.  Tomorrow’s another day…sleevesArgh

I’m not sure I can face re-drafting and cutting another bodice for the muslin, so I’m going to try to fiddle with the seam allowances and see if I can make a bit more room in the armscye that way.  But those sleeves will have to be wider when I make the real thing!

Wish me luck 🙂  I’ll let you know how I get on soon!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.