Now, as I’ve not done any dressmaking for a while, I thought I’d begin with something *simple*. Enter New Look 6086, a relatively straightforward tunic pattern that I’ve made before. Only trouble is, I’ve gone up a dress size and changed shape a bit since I last made this. Dim problem (as we say in Wales): enter Barbara Deckert’s ‘Sewing for Plus Sizes’, everything the curvy girl needs to know to make things that fit her.Well, except… having altered EVERY SINGLE seam apart from the centre back, doing an FBA, altering the length & position of the darts, changing width and length of the sleeves…
…I’d trashed the pattern so much I ended up having to trace off a new one. I wish I’d just bought another and cut it the right size in the first place! I was so fed up fiddling with the pattern and itching to get on with making the actual top that in the end, I forgot to do a crucial little ‘petite’ adjustment above the bustline.
So as you can see, there is a bit of bagginess going on in the upper chest, but overall I’m pretty happy with this as a first sew of the year. So much so that I wore it last weekend’s World Textile Day, hence the slightly creased look as I took the pics when I got home!
Now if we could just have a bit more of that lovely sunshiney stuff, I can pack my jumpers away and get on with the summer wardrobe!